Building Intimacy Through Talking
Conversational Starters to develop an intimacy in a marriage relationship
Most of the content of our communication with our spouse surrounds our children and their activities or just over the typical routines of our day. But there are deeper levels of intimacy to be explored.
It's important in growing intimate with your spouse to develop a greater level of understanding of who they are, what they're like, their interest, their dreams, and so forth. I’ve listed a few questions to ask to begin your conversations that might be helpful on a date night. I believe this is a good resource in building a greater intimate level of oneness in your relationship through conversation.
Conversational Starter Questions:
- Tell me about a high school or college friend I haven't met. What did you like about that person? Do you know where that person is now?
- Name something you've never done but would like to try. Why does it appeal to you? What's kept you from trying it?
- What is your favorite memory from our wedding day?
- What are your favorite smells and sounds? What memories or emotions do they evoke?
- Tell me about a book, movie, song, or work of art that changed the way you look at the world.
- If someone offered us an all-expenses-paid second honeymoon anywhere in the world, where would you want to go and why?
- What kind of volunteer work do you think you'd be especially well suited for?
- Tell me about someone outside of your family who impacted your life as you were growing up.
Use these to cultivate and broaden your communicational skills with your spouse.